With respect to preliminary site preparation and planting the following are some of the options available to landowners:
- Herbicide spraying to remove all competing vegetation.
- Supply of transplant or plug tree stock.
- Machine/Mechanical planting.
- Hand planting on more complicated ground.
- Vegetation mulching and mowing
Following planting the new woodland needs to be maintained to ensure successful establishment.
- Inspect the new woodland regulary for disease and pest damage.
- Replace any significant losses to ensure an adequate stocking density.
- Spray with herbicides if required.